Coconut fillings for Mee Jiang Kueh / Chinese Pancake

One of my favorite filling for Chinese pancake is desiccated coconut fillings.
Not those brown coloured ones. I prefer the orange ones.
Yes I know brown coloured ones uses gula melaka to make it but I don't like brown desiccated coconut fillings. LOL.
20190519 - Managed to make my own desiccated coconut fillings and taste awesome.
So I decided to record this recipe down and share with my friends.  
Ingredients :
70 grams red sugar
30 grams white sugar
150 grams water
Few leaves of pandan leave. Crush and tie it into a ribbon
250 grams desiccated coconut (packed or fresh)
Half teaspoon of salt

To make the coconut needs some common sense.
We like to have a dense coconut filling and not a dried version that taste like dried pulp.

Though the above recipe call for 200 grams of water, if our fire is not properly maintain, we will need more water.
Place sugar, water and pandan leaves into a small pot.
Boil and ensure the sugar melt before we place the desiccated coconut.
Ensure the coconut is properly mixed in the syrup and boil for at least 10 minutes.
I started with 100 gram of water and it was too dry. So I add water while cooking it. I maintained a medium fire so that the coconut is being cook and not over cooking it to ensure it will not turn bad if left not eaten for a few hours at room temperature.
I keep tasting it to ensure I get what I want before I stop cooking.

Everyone told me not to use the packed coconut. It is so difficult for us to find fresh coconut in a new housing estate. I decided to try it out using the pre-packed desiccated coconut and with careful cooking, it taste as good as those good Coconut MJK that we buy from the market.

I am very happy with my find and it shall be my breakfast in future when I like to have it. Need not go Toa Payoh or Ang Mo Kio to get them anymore.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Watercress Soup

Chinese Spinach with century egg