Mee Jiang Kueh - Chinese Peanut Pancake (2nd recipe)


Mee Jiang Kueh (Chinese Pancake with peanut fillings)
This improved version is a accidental find after my post here.
Decided to have this recipe shared here so that my friends can learn it easily. Also in case I have dementia, I may need this step by step guide too LOL
It is difficult to measure at 3.75g etc. So I used the medicine spoon to help up.
I started with half teaspoon for 1 recipe. Since I tweaked the recipe with self raising flour, I reduce the instant yeast and baking soda accordingly.
So it becomes 1.5 times of the amount required instead of 2 for 2 recipe.

Do ensure water and eggs are at room temperature when mixing. 
We need warm temperature to grow the yeast.

Pour the wet ingredients to dry ingredients to mix them. Leave it to stand for at least 2 hours. 
You will see the yeast grow and the batter will have bubbles in them.
Normally, I will prepare them in the evening, leave it at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours,  keep it in the refrigerator for the next morning to use.
Do let the batter to warm down abit if you left the batter overnight in the refrigerator.
Using cold batter to cook is alright, but it is more difficult if we cook thicker batter.
1. Scope the batter into the non stick pan (no oil needed). Turn in clockwise movement to even out the batter and spread some onto the side of the pan.
2. Cover the pan so that the temperature can be maintain.
3. Check the batter. If one side is still watery and the other side cook, it is better to adjust the pan to even out the fire.
4. When you see the batter drying up, we can start to spread the peanut mix.

5. Cover the pan again. This allow the peanut to be cook together with the pancake and stick to the pancake. So at least the peanut will not ended up too loose from the pancake.
6. When the side of the pan cake turn brown, the pancake is ready.
7. Scrape the side and fold the pancake.
We need to do a little practice to perfect the art of cooking.


So here is the summary of the ingredients used.
Dry ingredients to sieve
Plain flour 150g
Corn flour 40g
Self Raising flour 100g
Rice flour 20g
Baking soda 3.75g

Add to dry ingredients
Instant yeast 3.75g
Sugar 60g

Wet ingredients (Mix together), thereafter mix with dry ingredients
2 eggs
Water 370g (Room Temperature)



Peanut Mix Recipe
I usually buy the grounded peanut from Sheng Siong.
My combination is 70g of peanut to 30g of castor sugar.
We can adjust to our liking according to our preference.
If not we can use kaya or Hokkaido red bean mentioned in my 1st recipe in my earlier blog here.

Do you like coconut fillings?
I managed to find my own recipe and it taste awesome.
Check this link out for my recipe



@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@



Actually I was contented after my successful attempt on my MJK shown in my last post here in April 2018. This improved version was an accidental find. It happened when I was trying to fix yet another MJK for my afternoon tea that I realised I ran out of plain flour. So I made do by using up by self raising flour, then corn flour as my self raising flour also ran out. To do this, I adjusted the instant yeast and baking soda. The result was awesome. The pancake was soft and bouncy. However, I still cannot get that crispy sides. So I started to experiment by adding rice flour. The effect was good with the agreement of my friends.
The handwritten recipe above was my raw experiment that I happily shared with my friends and realised they cannot understand, which prompted me to write it down all over again.
My improved version was by using 1 recipe to combined with other ingredients into 2 portion. Cause this was derived from mixing 2 recipe and adjusting the instant yeast and baking soda since I am using self raising flour... so above is the complete guide on how to do it. 
Hope you are able to enjoy my new recipe with your family.
ENJOY!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut fillings for Mee Jiang Kueh / Chinese Pancake

Chinese Watercress Soup

Chinese Spinach with century egg