Mee Jiang Kueh or Chinese Pancake

Mee Jiang Kueh / Chinese Pancake

MJK - my love for this grow fonder when I get older. When I was young, we have this as a treat on some weekend. When my late "ah ma" (mummy)  will pass us some pocket money, really, pocket money from her "zhao tee goo" illegal hawking selling home grown chilli, papaya or lime. My brothers and me will walk 1 and a 1/4 mile to this Punggol wet market. There was a stall opposite the wet market, at the junction where we walk to the movie theatre.  They have at least 5 small pancake pans lined in a row making pancakes on the spot. Coconut or peanut. The 2 original flavours. At that time, my pancake world in my "dictionary" is only this kind of pancake. Funny how, during that time, I am not a fan of Mee Jiang Kueh. I prefer those Noya layered kueh. Also, I hate coconut pancake. 50 years later, I started to love Mee Jiang Kueh and orange coconut fillings is my favourite.
I got this recipe by coincidence. I happened to volunteer for a school fund raising project. A chef passed us(3 of us) this recipe without tell us how to make it. So my friend went to this mee jiang kueh stall in the market to observe how they cook it, where we try to mix the batter to try out. After some adjustment we managed to get the correct consistency and managed to sell quite a lot of  them with praises too. With the good memory, I decided to continue making it for my family to enjoy at home.
I must confess, this is not the best MJK. The batter is good for the English Pancake (Just like McDonalds). But if we cook it the way like the chinese ones and eat it when hot, it taste as good. Better that those MJK stall selling outside. (Those anyhow made ones).
Nevermind, my husband is a big fan of Mee Jiang Kueh. He is happy with it, so are my children. 

A lot of patience is required if you want to make your own MJK. First you need to let your batter stand for at least 2 hours. This is to allow the yeast to grow in room temperature. Then you have to cook them in low heat one by one. (As we do not own a big hot plate like those hotel). Also, we have to watch out the progress of the batter. Once the batter is almost cook (with some wet and dry batter) we have to add the fillings we like.
I normally add grounded peanut or Hokkaido red bean. Then  we hae to observe the pancake again until fully cook.

On the other hand, we can just drop our batter in our non stick pan. It will be cooked as it is. We can still enjoy the Ang Mo pancake with honey, jam, kaya or maple syrup.
RECIPE FOR MEE JIANG KUEH
Batter -
All purpose flour 150grams
Sugar 30grame
Yeast 1/2 teaspoon
Baking Soda 1/2 teaspoon
Egg 1
Water 185 grams
Just mix all together and let it stand for 2 hours, make sure you see it grow with bubbles in between.

Peanut mix- You can get the ground peanut from Poon Huat or Shengsiong.
My proportion is 7:3. 
Peanut (7): Sugar (3)
Depending how much fillings you need, you can start from 100 grams of fillings and add on if you like. Also, you can change the proportion of sugar and peanut to adjust the sweetness you like. Mine is the non sweet ones.

Hokkaido Red Bean Fillings-
I bought this from Japan. We can get it in any Japanese products store here too. The only thing about these beans is that they have plenty of syrup in it. So be sure to drain it on a sieve before we use them.

Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut fillings for Mee Jiang Kueh / Chinese Pancake

Chinese Watercress Soup

Chinese Spinach with century egg